Sunday Writing Essential (SunWE, 03/02/14, Mardi Gras)
Okay, this week is the second of our holiday challenges, with Mardi Gras up on the hot seat this time around.
Mardi Gras literally means Fat Tuesday in French, and refers to the practice of eating up the richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of Lent. Which makes it the perfect follow-up for last week’s Pancake/Shrove Tuesday challenge.
It is also part of the worldwide Carnival celebrations, a festive season which occurs immediately before Lent. (Apparently there’s a lot of eating and partying before the piety during the week of Lent).
You can check out more on Mardi Gras here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras
In honour of Mardi Gras write a story (fiction or non-fiction), or a poem about one or more of the following:
- New Orleans
- Beads (because anyone who’s seen Mardi Gras in New Orleans knows the importance of the beads)
The List of Things to Do:
- Add this Challenge Statement to the post: In honour of Mardi Gras write a story (fiction or non-fiction), or a poem about one or more of the following: New Orleans, Masks, Beads, Costumes, Parades
- Put (SunWE, 03/02/14, Mardi Gras) in your post title.
- Be sure to tag your post with SunWE, Gather Writing Essential, and Mardi Gras.
- Then post it to Gather Writing Essential. You can also comment below with the link to your post to ensure I find it.
- And try to post it by next Sunday.
There is also a limit of three submissions from each member per day, which you can follow or ignore at your discretion.
Also, if you would like a detailed critique of your response to a challenge, feel free to request it at the end of your post. Otherwise, I’ll simply leave a nice comment.
Here are the responses I found for the “Pancakes” challenge:
SunWE, 02/23/14, Pancakes -"Hubby Knows Best by Heather - child of God, C.
If I missed yours, please let me know.