- Put this challenge statement at the beginning or end of your submission so readers will know what you’re supposed to do.
Challenge: Using prose or poetry, write a Western tale. It can be fiction, nonfiction, or an essay regarding life in the “Wild West.” Don’t limit yourself in your thinking. It can be the old West in the US, the western Urals, West Oz, or any other “west” you can imagine.
- There is a limit of three submissions from each member per day. If you’re extremely prolific, spread out your work and post only three submissions per day.
- Post to Gather Writing Essential.
- Tag your submission with SatWE.
- Include (Saturday Writing Essential) as part of your title.
- I ask that you make your submission(s) by next Friday afternoon.
Zeb rides slowly into town and stops in front of the Stillwater Saloon. He dismounts and walks up the steps and into the swinging doors of the bar. Two young men are arguing and throwing punches at each other while the barmaid threatens them with a shotgun. Zeb grabs each of them by the shirt and walks them to the door, while shoving them through it he tells them “don’t come back today.”
“Why Zebulon, would you throw out paying customers?”
“Those weren’t customers, they were a fight waiting to break out, and we can’t afford that here.”
“If you say so, Zebulon.”
“And don’t call me Zebulon, Sissy, or I will call you Ethelynn!”
“Give me my usual, barmaid.”
Sissy, pours a glass of soda and puts it in front of Zeb without a comment.”
Zeb takes a long drink and checks his star on his vest. Being Sheriff and owning the local saloon are trying jobs but he has gained a good reputation for both of them and feels confident sitting with his back to the door.
“I need my lunch, any sandwich will do.”
Sissy heads to the door in back of the bar and proceeds to make Zeb his lunch, when she comes back with it he has money waiting on the bar. Having finished his drink, he heads out the doors and throws his leg over his Harley Hog start’s it and heads for the jail!!
It’s a quiet day in Stillwater and that’s just the way Zeb likes it to be!!