The prison system is BIG Business that reels on the hands of the poor (which get poorer) and the rich (which get comfy). For that reason we the people with moral compasses need to stand up and safe guard those who have no voice.
In the prisons the food has dwindled down to two meals a day of nothing but starches and grease. Society wonders why prisoners lash out in craziness. The craziness is that of a diabetic uneasiness or heart clogged brain fit; as their body is starving for the next meal of the same; yet hope to get real nutrients.
There is NO REASON the system can't put the prisoners to work on a garden of fresh vegetables to augment the system if they want real food. There is no reason they can't put the prisoners to work raising their own meat; except the system has captives. Captives who can be further exploited at the hands of sicko’s who happened to slide through the system. Every care taker of those who depend on their care (for life or death situations) should go through random lie detector tests if they want to work for the government.
The $5.00 a minute phone calls (IF you don’t subscribe to their system and even then $2.00 + a minute if you do) to the families; if they want to stay connected (in more cases than not; to the ONLY bread winner) exploits the poor. This exploits the emotional stability of whatever civility may be left behind to the detriment of society.
Instead of allowing families to use a 5 cent a minute card verses $2.00 a minute; reeks of BIG MONEY and exploitation of an ALREADY BAD situation. Would this be classified as a good MORAL CONSCIENCE? I think NOT!
No wonder so many family members follow suit in a life of crime. They see a system set up to better society and yet it exploits it.
They now have no bread winner and in most cases it is the women who are left behind to raise their children on welfare; if she has no skills. Then to try to stay connect to the children’s father/mother; they are again assault by the system that was set up to help society straighten out people who MIGHT have had a lapse in conscience or judgment.
1. By denying them access to their loved ones via phone (because they can't afford $5.00 a minute)
2. By denying the families access to send clothing and commodities needed for everyday living, i.e.; socks underwear, vitamins, extra food to augment their poor diet; which is causing several diseases and death. And; only allowing families to purchase said items through the systems store; once a year, if that, makes for another bone of contention. (I don’t know about your unders, but I can’t get the cheap stuff to last more than three months, let alone a year. And I don’t use harsh detergents!)
3. Making prisoners buy their health care, if you can afford it is great; but what about the poor. They get an aspirin for blockages in their hearts and corodid arteries and have to live under the duress of the ticking time bomb. Or they go blind from vitamin deficiency and many more preventable diseases.
Do you think this might breed contention?
WHAT IS A PRISON?
Sure prison was never meant to be a pleasure cruise. And yes we have supposedly gotten out of the deviant behaviors of the past as far as lashings, but come on; destroying the mental health and physical health of a person who was sent to prison to be REFORMED and brought back into society, is NOT what I am see.
Contention breeds contention. The prisons are breeding wild animal veracity to keep them in business is what I see. What ever happened to the moral consensus?
1. In God’s realm; a prisoner’s sentence was being caged up to reflect on anti-social behavior and receive counseling!
2. The restraints are the prison term and no high polluting amenities. Food for health, clothing and shelter, and warmth; are a given.
Come on Prisons Let’s get with the program and see if we can limit the spending and the need for your jobs.