Each time I've put a new song up on Gather, I've laboriously sent single emails to every person who has ever commented on one of my earlier songs - some 100 persons. Unfortunately, I have tendonitis, and if I continue to do that much copy, paste, mouse, edit - I'll lose the ability to play my guitar. Frankly, it's very important to me to have my songs heard, so given the choice, I would probably go ahead and destroy my ability to play.
I've decided there is a third path.
By joining the Send Us Your Song group, you are saying "Yes, when you post a song on Gather, I'd like to know about it and I would like to receive an email letting me know the song is ready for me to hear." Those who join the group will also have the ability to email the entire group with notifications of their songs, BUT only notifications about their own songs they have written and posted to Gather as an audio file or video.
This will be a moderated group, so here are the initial rules, subject to change as necessary:
1) Only audio files or videos may be posted to the group. While I would like to accept lyrics, any poem could be considered a song, and this is not a poetry group, but rather it's an original music group.
2) Members of the group may send broadcast messages to all other members, but those messages must only be to announce that you have posted an audio or video of your song.
3) Emails that direct group members to songs you have posted previously are permitted. Please don't go overboard with this; you could lose your group privileges. If you have 5 or 20 songs you want to direct people to, direct them to an article that has links to all of the songs. Remember also that the group does not accept any kind of article, so you will want to make your post of links available to everyone, not just people in particular groups.
4) You may wish to wait until your video or audio has been accepted into the group before sending your email. This is not necessary, as long as it's posted somewhere on Gather, but just know I have a life and may sometimes not get around to accepting material until quite a few hours later.
5) Spammers may occasionally access and abuse the group. When I see spam, I will block the sender, but the occasional unwanted email may get through. Thank you for your understanding.
6) This is a beta version of the group. There may be new rules, it may evolve and it could possibly go away. Let's give this a try.